How to Outline Text in Photoshop. We will be showing you how to add an outline to text in Photoshop and how to customize it to your needs in this tutorial.
With this easy guide, you will be able to outline any font in minutes and we will also show you how to edit the outline separately from the letters using Layer Styles.
However, with the aid of this guide, you should be able to outline a text in Photoshop with these steps that are listed out below;
How To Outline Text in Photoshop
- Type your text with the Type Tool (T).
- Right-click the text layer and select Blending Options to continue.
- Click on Stroke and your text will be outlined in the default way.
- Customize the outline by changing the color to make it more visible.
- Fill in the outline with either a Gradient or a Pattern of your choice.
- If you wish, change the thickness of the Outline and change its position towards the edge of the letters.
- You can lower its Opacity or change its Blend Mode to interact with the background if you want to the Outline to be subtler.
- Lastly, if you want to remove the text and keep the Outline only, it is also possible. Go to the Blending Options and drag the Fill Opacity bar down to 0%.
How to Edit the Text Outline Separately
- Unfortunately, Styles can’t be added directly to the Outline this way. For example, if you wish to edit the Outline separately, you will need to use a trick. Right-click the layer and select Rasterize Layer Style to continue.
- Now, you can freely use all the style settings on the outline. Since it is been turned into a shape, the downside of this method is that you can’t edit the text.
There different ways to use Layer Styles to make your text more visually appealing but if you want to save time, use ready-made text effects.
See Also: One Powerful Logo Designevo Website
3D Text Effect
The 3D effect looks very complex but it’s simple to use, double click the text layer to edit the text directly.
However, it is a smart object which means that the text is saved in another file once you edit that separate file and save it, the main file will automatically modify.
Game Logo Text Effect
This method can be used to create very complex logos.
The best thing about it is that you only need to provide the text and everything else happens without any effort or stress from your side.
Similarly, this text effect allows you to create a 3D looking logo straight from a video game.
You can use this method to create a text in vintage style.
Normally, it takes a lot of time and skill to create an effect like this but it is already done and ready to be used, just add your text to it.
Vintage Text Effect
With this method, the text becomes a part of the whole artwork as it is being altered to look older.
It looks like it was drawn manually and not simply typed in.
With the aid of the guide, you should be able to outline your text with Photoshop easily and also customize the outline with Layer styles.
If you have any questions that you would like to ask, do not hesitate to drop them in the comment section as we will love to answer them as quickly as we can.
Also, share this post with fellow graphic designers.