How To Password Protect A Flash Drive.
Protecting a flash drive is not a complicated thing but if you find it difficult doing and you need a guide in protecting your flash drive then you are at the right place as we shall be giving you different ways of password protecting your flash drive.
Flash drives are not only portable but they are also able to hold a lot of data. That’s what makes them ideal for professionals who are always on the go.
But there are some things that you need to learn before you store valuable information in your USB drive, you should learn how to secure it.
This is going to prevent thieves from stealing the contents of your storage device.
See Also: How To Unblur An Image Or Photo [5 Ways]
How to Password Protect a Flash Drive
Password Protection with BitLocker
Note: BitLocker is available on Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise.
The effective and easiest way to protect your files is to set a password for the entire flash drive.
The Windows 10 has a built-in feature that’s designed for this purpose called BitLocker.
- Connect the flash drive to one of the USB ports on your computer.
- Open the Windows Explorer (Windows + E) then right-click your USB drive.
- Then select Turn on BitLocker.
- When you get to this point, it will ask you to add and confirm your password.
- Once it’s done, click Next.
- On the next screen that will be displayed, specify how you would like to receive your recovery key.
- Then Set your preference then click Next.
- On the next screen that is going to display, select Encrypt Entire Drive, and move to the next page.
- Below Choose Which Encryption Mode, select Compatible Mode.
- Finally, hit Start Encrypting to begin securing your flash drive.
Once you are done, you can head on over to Windows Explorer. Then check the icon for your USB flash drive.
There should be a padlock on it to indicate that the content is secure. Double-click on the icon will now prompt you to enter a password.
It is at this point that you need to remember your password.
See Also: How to fix Windows 10 Wifi won’t Turn On
Protect Individual Files
If you are using either Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise, you can use BitLocker to secure individual files.
Windows Home users are not so lucky. There are some workarounds to securing specific files in your USB drive.
If you are using Microsoft Office, you can make use of its built-in solution for protecting data.
- Open the file you want to add a password to.
- Then Go to File > Info.
- Below Protect Document, select Encrypt with Password.
- Enter a password and confirm it before clicking OK.
- After these settings, users would need to enter a password before they can view the file.
This requires you to install WinZIP or similar compression software. WinZIP files are commonly used to compress folders.
But the program (and others like it) have an option that lets users add a password to encrypted files. Compressing a file and adding a password is a straightforward process.
Right-click on the file you want to be compressed, Then select Add to Archive, and turn on the option to set a password.
There are a lot of third-party vendors who offer data encryption solutions to the mass market.
But you have to be careful when using one of these. And make sure you only download from trusted sources and companies.
See Also: How To Change Netflix Your Plan
Bonus: Hardware solutions
There are different hardware-based solutions for those who are serious about encryption.
Some of them have physical buttons you use to unlock the device. While others require software instead.
This type of USB can be expensive. Purchasing devices with advanced security features like data encryption may be overkill for most users and especially if they are offered at a steep price point. But they are an excellent choice for highly sensitive files.
We are confident that after going through these different instructions on How to password protect a flash drive, you will not find it difficult to keep your documents safe.
If you have anything that you may like to enquire more about protecting your flash drive, you can drop it in the comment section as we will not hesitate to give you a response.
- How To Access Clipboard On Android
- Here Are the 25 Worst Passwords 2018
- 6 Things You Should Consider When Buying A New Computer
- How to Download Embedded Video From Any Website 2020