Discord is a free chat application that is commonly used by gamers across the world.
And Since its launch in 2015, a lot of players have gathered together to build communities around their favorite games, projects, and other ideas on the platform.
Due to the reason that the app’s focus on chat, gamers use all sorts of formatting features like bold, italics, underlining, and more built right via markdown.
These features help users better express themselves and ensure that discord remains private.
Most importantly, the feature that users consistently search for in Discord is the ability to quote others.
There is a work-oriented alternative to Discord known as Slack, it has the feature as several other chat apps.
For a long period of time, Discord users ran out of luck when it came to quoting other users so they had to resort to using code blocks or sophisticated chatbots.
Lacking the ability to quote someone on Discord is rather lackluster especially when it is compared to the likes of slack and other professional message apps that provide the convenience of such features.
What we must know is that Discord was never meant to be used as a platform to be work or business focused and it was only made for gamers.
However, being able to quote is understated.
It’s nice to have the ability to quote someone so as to reply to what someone has said.
But also provides a straightforward way to highlight critical messages during the conversation.
We wrote this guide to have the option to quote other messages. After a lot of research, the solution below is what we believe achieves the ability to quote other messages on Discord.
See Also: How To Connect Nintendo Switch To a TV
So go through this guide and try it out and see what you feel is most convenient for yourself.
How To Quote On Discord
Using Block Quotes (Newly Introduced)
Discord introduced a new markdown chat formatting called Block Quotes which effectively mimics the functionality to quote someone on Discord.
It is very simple to get started! The syntax used to Block Quotes is > or >>> followed by a space.
- > Which is added at the beginning of a line of text creates a single-line blockquote. For example, if you wish to quote what someone has posted, you need to copy-paste their message as > Going to Domino’s, does anyone need anything? Then below it add your reply. It’s a little more difficult and extra work but it is the best workaround to quoting on Discord for now.
- >>> a multi-line blockquote is created at the beginning of a line of text. The text starting from >>> until the end of the message will be included in the quote.
- For example, if you wish to quote multiple lines of what someone has posted, you will need to copy-paste their message.
See Also: How to Make a Saddle in Minecraft
Using Code Blocks To Quote Someone on Discord.
Before the introduction of Block Quotes by Discord, users had to use the Code Blocks feature to mimic the ability to quote messages.
This method still works and it presents an alternative should you want to try it out.
To create a code block is easy simple as you need to wrap your text in a single backtick (`) or three backticks (“`).
- (`) a backtick at the beginning and the end of a sentence can format a single line to be into a code block. For example, if you wish to quote the line One line code blocks are neat you write it as `One line code blocks are neat`
- (“`) triple backtick at the beginning and the end of a sentence can format multiple lines into a code block
Now, it is up to you whether you want to use code blocks or block quotes. You should try it and see which is most comfortable for you.
Quote is known as a more complete and feature-rich self bot. It depends on the one you choose.
We hope that with this guide you have a good understanding of how to quote someone using Discord.
If there are any questions that you wish to ask, do not hesitate to drop them in the comment section.
- How to Access Steam Screenshot Folder
- How To Host On Twitch: A Step-By-Step Guide
- 10 Best Total War Games In 2020
- How to make a Saddle in Minecraft