Functional Safety Engineer Job in Italy
This is a great opportunity to take a role as Senior Functional Safety Engineer for an established global semiconductor manufacturer based in Milan, Italy. You will be responsible for the development of safety concepts and safety management on sensors for Automotive, Industrial, and Consumer applications.
The successful Equipment Engineer candidate will gain broad-based industrial maintenance experience encompassing Electrical/PLC, Robotics, Mechanical, Welding, Machining, Hydraulics/Pneumatics, Conveyor systems, etc.
The applicant must be willing to tackle whatever technical challenge presents itself and be willing to assist and learn from others in their areas of expertise. The ideal candidate will also have process engineer experience. The Engineer will be the technical subject matter expert of their assigned process.
He/she will be expected to determine the most effective method(s) of processing while improving cycle times, reducing downtime, lowering cost, and driving improvements in overall Paint quality to ensure the continued performance of the process. Let's look at the meaning of engineer as used in this article.
What is an Engineer?
Engineers are professionals who invent, design, analyze, build and test machines, complex systems, structures, gadgets, and materials to fulfill functional objectives and requirements while considering the limitations imposed by practicality, regulation, safety, and cost. The word engineer (Latin inventor is derived from the Latin words ingeniare ("to contrive, devise") and Ingenium ("cleverness").
The foundational qualifications of an engineer typically include a four-year bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline, or in some jurisdictions, a master's degree in an engineering discipline plus four to six years of peer-reviewed professional practice (culminating in a project report or thesis) and passage of engineering board examinations.
A professional Engineer is typical, is a person registered under an Engineering Council which is widely accepted.
The work of engineers forms the link between scientific discoveries and their subsequent applications to human and business needs and quality of life.
The General Role of a Functional Safety Engineer:
As a functional safety engineer, you’re part of the safety domain in the engineering department. Your work comprises the entire safety lifecycle from the concept phase to the end of life.
You begin your day with stand-up as well as your multidisciplinary project team that develops one of the systems of our vehicle. You prepare instructions for them on how to review the HARA. You perform an FTA on one of the safety goals you defined earlier and discuss it with e.g. the system architect and another functional safety engineer. For another system, you define tests to verify the safety concepts that you implemented before.
On Friday you support the project manager with defining the functional safety activities that need to be performed in the next sprints, you present the results from this sprint in the sprint review, and finish your work week with some drinks together with our great colleagues in the (temporarily online) Friday afternoon drink. Your job will focus on the following aspects:
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders (e.g. our engineering & procurement team and suppliers) to ensure that the system you work on is functionally safe and complies with the series of standards and other relevant standards
- Compile item definitions including obtaining and combining system architectures
- Perform hazard analyses, DFMEA, and fault tree analysis
Derive safety concepts
- Specify functional & technical safety requirements for the system as well as hardware and software requirements
- Define and execute system & integration tests and verification & validation tests
- Perform safety analysis
- Coordinate and execute the creation of functional safety documentation.
- Conduct reviews to ensure functional safety standards are being met throughout the entire safety life cycle
- Plan/support/execute functional safety audits of suppliers
- Create training material and train engineers on the application.
The Requirements for Safety Engineer:
we are looking for people with an ambitious attitude who learn from the past (tried and tested) and who strive to set new standards when needed. Therefore, you bring along:
- A Bachelor's and/or Master's degree in Electrical, Software Engineering, or related
- You have an affinity with functional safety
- 1-5 years of experience in the field of Functional Safety within a high-tech environment
- Experience with development in the automotive sector.
- You are able to identify problems/failures/scenarios that lead to hazards in complex systems
- You are able to deal with resistance, are a true listener, and are convincing in selling your safety vision internally and to our suppliers
- You consider yourself a self-starter, a strong communicator with the ability to work with tight deadlines.
- You’re eager to work in a highly passionate intercultural environment and in multidisciplinary teams in a multi-project environment.
- Experience with FMEDA, FTA, FSC, TSC
- Experience with tools like Matlab/Simulink, Stateflow, Embedded coder, FMEAS, and FMEA is considered an advantage
- Fluent in English is mandatory, and Dutch proficiency is considered a plus.
- Fundamental understanding of ISO26262 and experience in implementing it in practice
- Knowledge and execution of requirement management tools such as DOORS, Integrity, etc.
- Possession of software quality and processes, such as CMMI, ASPICE, etc.
- Knowledge and execution of in-analysis methods like FTA, DFA, FMEA, etc.
Responsibilities & work tasks:
- Participate in the vehicle-level concept definitions and vehicle-level development steps
- Participate in the assigned item development according to the ISO26262 standard
- Define the functional and technical safety concepts
- Derive the safety requirements and define the safety measures and mechanisms
- Ensure the proper requirement traceability during the whole project
- Define the Verification and Validation criteria and support the test activities
- Participate in customer meetings to support safety-related discussions
- Represent the assigned functional and technical concepts
- Take part in the resolution of the customer requests
- Work together with the HW and SW development teams on safety topics
- Support the HW and SW development and requirement derivation
- Support the integration of the SEooC elements
- Responsible for the safety-related analysis (FTA, FMEA, DFA, and FMEDA)
- Lead and moderate the creation of the analysis
- Evaluate analysis results and propose solutions for the identified weaknesses
- Support the impact analysis of submitted issues and change requests from a safety point of view.
- Status report of assigned work products.
- Development of safety concepts including safety mechanisms.
- Performing safety analysis and fault analysis.
- Dealing with hardware safety requirements
- Improve, develop and support the functional safety of innovative products over a complete development cycle.
What the Company like and what they offer:
- We operate in a fast-paced and challenging environment
- You will have the opportunity to work on world-class solutions with cutting-edge technology
- We work a lot, but also know how to have fun (fun teambuilding, crazy company parties, kitchen and relaxation zones around the office, free coffee/tea and fresh fruit, etc.)
- Family-like and open work environment (subsidies for kindergartens, Christmas parties for kids, and presents for kids)
- Financial subsidy for transportation
- Additional and supplementary healthcare covered
- Internal educations program
- Psychological counseling
- Flexible working hours and work-from-home days – up to 12 days of remote work per month
- Discounts at stores and clinics – for humans and pets.
The company gives an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The company is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process.
Some Frequently Asked Questions:
What is functional safety in the automotive industry?
The term functional safety (FuSa) is defined by ISO 26262 as the absence of unacceptable risk due to hazards caused by malfunctioning behavior of E/E (electrical and/or electronic) systems. Related to hardware elements, the goals are to prevent systematic design failures and detect and control random hardware faults.
What are the responsibilities of a functional safety engineer?
Functional safety is a component of the overall safety of an automatic protection-reliant system or piece of equipment. This automatic protection system must appropriately respond to its inputs. And failure should result in predictable responses.
Who is accountable for the safety functions?
According to ISO 26262, the project manager, not the safety manager, is responsible for achieving functional safety.
How are safety and functional safety different?
A functional safety measure is a thermal sensor in a system that causes the system to shut down if it overheats. Insulation against high temperatures is a safety measure, but it is not a functional safety measure. Both can help prevent fires. Now, let's examine another example in greater depth.
How does one become a manager of functional safety?
Bachelor's or Master's degree in electrical engineering, software engineering, or a related field. Functional Safety experience in a high-tech environment for 5 years. Minimum of two years experience as a Functional Safety Manager.
"Functional Safety Engineer Job, Italy" is an article that advertises the available job position in the country.
The article further explains the meaning of engineer, the qualification for functional safety engineer, the job responsibilities, the additional requirement for the functional safety engineering job, and equal opportunity for employees granted by the company.