How to Move to Canada as a Teacher

Canada has often been referred to as the Great White North, and many things make it so great—like its breathtaking scenery, rich culture, and an ideal climate. While living in Canada can be fantastic, one thing that may have you thinking twice about immigrating there—is the fact that you need to get a job before moving there permanently! If you’re interested in becoming a teacher in Canada but are unsure what steps to take, keep reading to learn everything you need!

How to Move to Canada as a Teacher

Over 56% of Canadian adults have a post-secondary degree, making it one of the nations with the highest levels of education in the world, according to the (OECD). This is primarily because of its excellent educational system, accessible to all Canadians, including permanent residents, free of charge.

Teachers are listed on 8 of Canada's 11 Provincial Nominee Program Occupation In-Demand Lists for 2022, in addition to being among the top 10 most in-demand jobs in the country. According to Job Bank Canada, there will be 53,700 new job openings for secondary school teachers between 2019 and 2028, indicating a long-term increase in demand for the education sector in Canada. When you combine that with excellent benefits and the potential to earn up to $96,000 a year, you can guarantee a better future for your loved ones and the young minds you will be molding.

Continue reading to find out which choices are best for teachers looking to immigrate to Canada in 2023.

How Much Do Teachers Earn in Canada?

No matter what level or age your pupils are, teaching is a tremendous vocation. Whether you work with young children, with children in elementary or high schools, or as a university or college professor, there are many rewarding career options in Canada for you. Your position is essential in the lives of millions of people. All Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and their families are entitled to a high standard of public education without charge because it is ingrained in the country's values. Canada compensates its educators for this by offering them competitive pay and superior benefits.

Canada was listed as one of the top 10 nations worldwide on the list of the best-paid elementary teaching positions in 2019 by Business Insider. The average earnings for various in-demand teachers in the country are listed below (according to Payscale). Notably, earnings differ from province to province and territory to territory depending on the school level and work experience.


Average Salary (CAD)

National Average





British Columbia


New Brunswick


Newfoundland & Labrador


Northwest Territories


Nova Scotia





Prince Edward Island








Benefits of Working in Canada as a Teacher

When you immigrate to Canada as a teacher, you will have access to several work perks that you might not have in your home country and the incredible universal healthcare system, which will cost you nothing. Many Employment Insurance (EI) benefits are included in this, including:

  • Paid maternity and parental benefits: Maternity benefits (up to 55% of your earnings for up to 15 weeks), including standard parental benefits of up to 55% of your earnings for up to 40 weeks (1 parent can’t take more than 35 weeks) or extended parental benefits - up to 33% of your earnings for up to 69 weeks (1 parent can’t take more than 61 weeks).
  • Sickness benefits: up to 55% of your earnings for up to 15 weeks if you can’t find work because of medical reasons.
  • Caregiver Benefits: Family caregiver benefit for children - up to 35 weeks (a critically ill or injured person under 18). Family caregiver benefits for adults - up to 15 weeks  (a critically ill or injured person 18 or older). Compassionate care benefits - up to 26 weeks ( a person of any age who needs end-of-life-care)

It's crucial to remember that these perks may differ depending on your employment status (full- or part-time) and years of experience.

How to Move to Canada as a Teacher

Although beginning the process of emigrating to Canada or applying for teaching jobs is not easy, we have highlighted four straightforward questions to which you should have the answers before you begin.

1. Where do you want to live and work in Canada?

Moving to Canada is a significant life choice that must not be made hastily. You should have the following factors in mind when you consider different places in Canada to call home:

  • Cost of living
  • Healthcare needs (are there specialized facilities to meet your and your family’s specific healthcare needs)
  • Job openings in your field (if your position is in demand, you'll have a higher chance)
  • Possibility of career advancement
  • Affordable accommodations (whether you want to buy or rent)
  • Your lifestyle preferences, for example, do you prefer big cities or small towns?

You might now be interested in learning which provinces have the greatest need for teachers. The more employment opportunities there are in a province or territory, the more likely you will be offered a job in Canada or, even better, a province may invite you to apply for permanent residence.

2. Documents required for application

You will need several vital documents to move to Canada as a teacher, particularly those about your credentials. If you have a foreign degree, you must first determine whether Canada recognizes it. If it is acknowledged, you could require an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA), which attests to the validity and conformity of your degree, diploma, or certificate to Canadian standards. The following is a list of designated organizations that can conduct your assessment:

  • Comparative Education Service - University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies;
  • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada;
  • World Education Services;
  • International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS); and
  • International Credential Evaluation Service.

Moreover, your occupation determines your level of schooling. The following is a list of prerequisites:

  • Early Childhood Educators usually require a 2 - 4 year college program in early childhood education or a Bachelor’s Degree in child development, while assistants will merely need to have completed secondary school, have experience in childcare, and have completed an early childhood assistant certificate or post-secondary course in early childhood education
  • Elementary and Kindergarten teachers require a Bachelor's Degree in education and possibly child development, additional training in special education, and a provincial certificate.
  • Academic or secondary teachers usually require a Bachelor's Degree in Education and the Arts or Sciences.
  • College and Vocational Instructors require a Bachelor's or Master’s Degree or College Diploma in your field of expertise and possibly a qualification in adult education (certificate, diploma, or degree)
  • University professors need a Doctoral and Master's Degree in your specialized field.

In addition, you will require a provincial teaching certificate, which you can only obtain after joining a teacher's union in the province or territory of your choice.

3. Job offer

Given that most educational professionals are categorized as highly skilled, you might be qualified to apply through programs and Canadian immigration systems, like Express Entry, that do not require you to have a job in Canada to immigrate there. Nevertheless, we've all heard the heartbreaking tales of qualified professionals who moved to Canada but are having trouble finding employment. Finding a job before applying for your visa will help you avoid this for two reasons.

The first is that you won't have to worry as much about finding a job before your money runs out and can concentrate on other things, like settling into your Canadian neighborhood. The second is that it might increase your chances of getting a visa in two different ways: either you might gain up to 10 more Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) or Permanent Residency (PR) points, or you might get a Provincial Nomination (PN), which is worth 600 more points! To ensure that you increase your chances of success in the visa application procedure, it is all the more important to have your evaluation performed by a professional.

4. Choose the best Canadian immigration program

There are several methods to become a teacher in Canada, but we've outlined the top 4 approaches that will offer you the best chance of settling there and finding work:

The Express Entry

There are three federal economic immigration programs for Canada that are managed through the points-based Express Entry (EE) system: the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), the Federal Trade Worker Program (FSTP), and the Canada Experience Class (CEC). You would be eligible to apply through the FSWP or the CEC as a highly trained professional (if you have at least 1 year of Canadian work experience). Your EE application will be placed into drawings, typically occurring every two weeks, and compared to other candidates using the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).

An Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence will be sent to applicants with the best marks. One of the most common routes for immigration to Canada is the Express Entry system, which allows you to work anywhere and does not require a job offer from Canada. The application procedure can also be completed in as little as six months.

Province Nominee Program

Suppose you have a legitimate job offer in Canada that satisfies the labor requirements of that specific province or territory. In that case, you are eligible to live and work there under the Provincial Nominee Program. Every province and territory has its PNP list of certain in-demand professions. If you are nominated by your province or territory, which is worth 600 more points, you are assured of receiving an ITA for Canadian permanent residency. As was previously indicated, practically all PNPs have a stream connected to the Express Entry system, which will shorten the time it takes to process your application from roughly 18 months if you apply directly to the province to 6 months if you apply through Express Entry.

The Atlantic Immigration Pilot

If you have your heart set on establishing roots in one of Canada's coastal provinces, specifically Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, or Newfoundland and Labrador, the Atlantic Immigration Pilot (AIP) is ideal for you. You must have a legitimate employment offer in Canada's Atlantic provinces and meet other standards, including language proficiency and work experience, to be eligible for this program.

The Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot

Suppose you don’t picture yourself settling down alongside the coast but are still yearning for a quiet life. In that case, you may want to consider one of the 11 participating communities of Canada’s Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot (RNIP), namely Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, and New Brunswick. You will again need a genuine work offer of at least one year in one of the participating areas and meet other requirements to apply to immigrate to Canada through the RNIP.


Furthermore, here are some of the most frequently asked questions about moving to Canada as a teacher.

Is a work permit required to work as a teacher in Canada?

Yes. Every worker in Canada needs a permit.

How do I pursue a teaching degree in Canada?

You can pursue your education at one of Canada's outstanding schools or universities. A Canadian degree can significantly increase your prospects of finding employment as a teacher and being granted immigration to Canada.

Can I teach online in Canada without a work visa?

This depends on some factors.

What's Your Reaction?