Australia Transit Visa - Subclass 771: Eligibility and Application Process
Eligibility Requirements and Application Process Information for Australia Transit Visa - Subclass 771 Whether you’re traveling between countries or traveling within one country, we all want to save money on airfare, regardless of how much money we’ve got in the bank. However, if you’re not from Australia or New Zealand, your options are limited when it comes to obtaining a visa that allows you to transit through that country without having to pay your own way.
Are you looking to travel between Australia and New Zealand? If so, then you might be interested in applying for the new Australia Transit Visa Subclass 771 which allows you to do just that as well as enter and leave Australia multiple times while on your journey. Read on to learn more about the eligibility requirements, application process, and more!
A transit visa for Australia is a short-term visa issued only to grant you passage through Australia while you are traveling to another country. Not everyone needs a transit visa- this will depend on many factors, including your country of residence.
Those who hold a maritime crew visa 988 can use a transit visa to enter Australia to join a non-military ship.
What Is a Transit Visa?
If you're planning to travel to Australia, you may need a transit visa. The Australia Transit Visa - Subclass 771 allows you to transit through Australia for up to 72 hours. This visa is for people who are not Australian citizens or permanent residents, and who are in transit to another country. To be eligible for this visa, you must have a valid passport from your country of citizenship, and you must be able to show that you have onward travel plans. You can apply for the Australia Transit Visa - Subclass 771 at any Australian consulate abroad before traveling to Australia. You will also need to pay a fee when applying.
Who Is Eligible
The Australia Transit Visa (subclass 771) is a short-term visa that allows you to transit through Australia. This visa is for people who are in transit to another country, with a valid ticket, and who will not be leaving the airport during their stay. These visas may also be granted if the passenger does not have a legal right to enter Australia, but has been granted an exception by Australian authorities. There are some restrictions on this visa such as whether or not your last departure from Australia was 12 months ago.
When can you apply?
You can apply for an Australia Transit Visa - Subclass 771 if you are transiting through Australia to another country. You must have a valid ticket to your onward destination, and you must meet the other eligibility requirements listed below. You can apply for an Australia Transit Visa - Subclass 771 if you are transiting through Australia to another country. You must have a valid ticket to your next destination, and you must meet the other eligibility requirements.
Do I Need a Transit Visa for Australia?
You will need a transit visa unless you are from one of the countries listed below:
If you are from these countries, you will also need to meet the following requirements:
- You will be traveling to Australia via airplane.
- You have a valid passport or travel document that allows you to enter another country.
- You have travel arrangements to another country within 8 hours of your arrival.
- You will not be leaving the transit zone for any reason, including collecting your baggage otherwise, you will need a visa.
- You hold a Hong Kong Special Administrative Region passport or British National Overseas passport.
- You are a resident of Taiwan and you were issued a passport by the authorities of Taiwan.
- You are a government official from India with a passport issued by the Republic of India.
- You hold a diplomatic passport.
Document Checklist for Transit Visa 771
If you need to apply for a transit visa 771, then make sure you provide the listed documents:
- Valid Passport.
- National ID card.
- Visa 771 application form.
- One recent photograph.
- Detailed itinerary.
- Evidence of previous visa (maritime crew applicants).
- Confirmed flight ticket to another country.
- Visa for another country (if applicable).
- Proof that you meet the character prerequisites.
- Evidence you signed Australia’s values statement.
- Health Insurance.
See Crew Transit Documents:
- National ID.
- Proof of employment on your current ship.
- Travel plans to another country.
- Proof that the ship you will be working on is non-military.
- Seafarer’s identification.
- Statement from your shipping agent including:
- Your full name.
- The name of the employee you will be taking over for.
- The company name employs you.
- Your arrival date in Australia.
- The date you will be joining the ship.
- A copy of the request to let new crew members join from the ship’s agent in Australia (if applicable).
- Assistance forms:
- Form 956a
- Form 956
How To Apply For an Australian Transit Visa
If you want to apply for an Australia transit visa, you must first check your eligibility. To be eligible, you must:
-hold a valid passport from an eligible country
-have a confirmed booking for onward travel to another country outside of Australia
-be transiting through Australia to another country
-be able to provide evidence of sufficient funds to support your stay in Australia
-meet health and character requirements. If you are found eligible, the next step is to get the necessary application forms for an Australia transit visa. The Australian Department of Immigration has made it easier by providing online application forms that can be downloaded. Fill up these forms with accurate information and submit them online along with your supporting documents as per instructions on the form.
A decision will then be given within four weeks if you are successful or not in getting an Australia transit visa.
Transit Facilities at Australian Airports
A few of Australia’s airports have limited space for their transit facilities and as a result, you may need a transit visa even if you meet all the requirements to travel without a visa 771. This will depend on the airport you will be arriving in:
- Sydney, Cairns, and Gold Coast. You will need a transit visa if you are passing through here overnight since these airports don’t work 24 hours. You must have a valid visa while you spend the night elsewhere.
- Perth. Here you will find transit lounges that allow you to stay without a transit visa if you enter and depart from the same terminal.
- Darwin. If you need to have your baggage transferred from airplane to airplane, you will need a transit visa since this airport does not provide this service.
- You will need a transit visa for overnight flights and if you switch aircraft. However, you may be exempt from the transit visa if the airline sends a notice before your arrival, provided you already meet the requirements for traveling without a transit visa (see above).
- Canberra, Sunshine Coast. This airport does not work 24 hours and does not provide travel facilities for passengers that can pass through Australia without a transit visa. Therefore, all passengers going through here will need a visa 771.
How Do I Get an Australia Transit Visa?
You get a transit visa by submitting your application via the ImmiAcocunt. You must have an account so you can attach the visa application form and the required documents, if you don’t, then open one before your trip. Make sure you lodge your application as early as a month before.
How Much Does a Transit Visa for Australia Cost?
There is no cost for a transit visa 771. You are not required to make a base application fee if you do need this visa.
How Long Can I Stay With a Transit Visa in Australia?
You can only stay for 72 hours in Australia with a visa 771. If you are a maritime crew member who entered Australia via plane, then you have 5 days to join your new ship. After five days, your transit visa is no longer valid plus you must lodge a new transit visa application each time you enter Australia by plane to join a new crew.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Transit Visa for Australia?
The majority of applications take a little over a month to process. However, some applications may finish processing after two weeks.
How Many Times Can I Enter Australia With a Transit Visa 771?
After your transit visa is issued, you can only enter Australia once. If you need a transit visa for Australia, then you must apply for a new visa 771 every time you travel.
Can I Apply for an Australian Transit Visa Online?
Yes, you can apply for a transit visa online through ImmiAccount.
Can My Family Members Apply With Me for a Transit Visa 771?
You must make a separate application for each family member if they need a transit visa too. This includes babies who are a part of their parent's passports.
Transit Visa Australia From New Zealand
Usually, you don’t need a transit visa 771 if you hold a New Zealand passport or are a resident in New Zealand. Moreover, if you hold a special visa 444 you can pass through Australia without any issues.
However, if you fail to meet the above-mentioned requirements you still need a transit visa.
The Australia Transit Visa - Subclass 771 is a short-term visa that allows eligible travelers to transit through Australia. To be eligible for this visa, travelers must have a valid passport, an onward ticket, and sufficient funds to support their stay in Australia. The application process for this visa is relatively simple and can be completed online. However, it is important to note that this visa does not allow travelers to enter Australia for tourism or business.