2023 Gates Cambridge Scholarship – Fully Funded Opportunity to Study at Cambridge University
First established in 2001, the Gates Cambridge Scholarship program is funded by a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and provides opportunities to study at the University of Cambridge for outstanding students from around the world. Over the past 15 years, more than 1000 Gates Scholars have come to Cambridge to pursue graduate studies in any of the university’s subject areas and more than 300 have remained in Cambridge to pursue careers in both academia and business.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship is an exciting fully-funded scholarship available to outstanding students who wish to study at the University of Cambridge and who have not studied at an Ivy League university or Oxford or Cambridge in the past. The scholarship covers tuition fees, provides an annual stipend of £17,385 (inclusive of tax), and offers accommodation in any college at the University of Cambridge on a competitive basis. This unique opportunity allows undergraduate students from all over the world to study at one of the world’s best universities and it will open doors to opportunities that can change your life!
However, the Gates Cambridge Scholarship Program was established in October 2000 with a donation of US$ 210 m from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge, the biggest single donation ever made to the UK university.
For 2022 Gates Cambridge will give 80 full-cost scholarships to exceptional candidates from outside the United Kingdom to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any topic accessible at the University of Cambridge. Approximately two-thirds of these awards will be offered to Ph.D. students, with approximately 25 awards available in the US round and 55 available in the International round.
About Cambridge University
One of the world's most prestigious universities, Cambridge is consistently ranked as one of the top higher education institutions. The university has produced some of the world's most famous alumni, including Stephen Hawking, Isaac Newton, and Sylvia Plath.
Located in the historic city of Cambridge, England, the university is made up of 31 colleges and over 100 departments. Gates Cambridge Scholarships are highly competitive and sought-after, with only around 100 scholarships awarded each year.
What Is The Gates Cambridge Scholarship?
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship is a highly competitive, full scholarship for international students to study at the University of Cambridge. The scholarship was established in 2001 by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and is one of the most prestigious scholarships in the world.
The scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge, including tuition, living expenses, and travel costs. Scholarships are awarded based on academic merit, leadership potential, and a commitment to improving the lives of others.
- Level of Study: Masters, PhD
- Institution(s): University of Cambridge
- Study in: UK
- Opportunity Focus Areas: All the available courses at the University of Cambridge except the courses listed below
- Program Period: Two years for master's and three years for PhD
- For US Citizens: October 13, 2021
- For International Students: Dependent on your course – either December 2, 2022, or January 6, 2023
Courses that are NOT eligible for Gates Cambridge Scholarships:
- Any Undergraduate degree such as BA (undergraduate) or BA affiliated (a second BA)
- Business Doctorate (BusD)
- Master of Business (MBA)
- Master of Finance (MFin)
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years, part-time)
- Graduate Course in Medicine (A101)
- Part-time degrees
- Non-degree courses
Gates Cambridge Scholarship provides the recipient with the following benefits:
- a maintenance allowance for a single student (£17,848 for 12 months at the 2021-22 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months) – for Ph.D. scholars, the award is for up to 4 years
- One economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
- The University Composition Fee at the appropriate rate
- Academic development funding – from up to £500 to up to £2,000, dependent on the length of your course, to attend conferences and courses.
- Family allowance – up to £10,120 for one child and up to £14,440 for two or more children (2021-22 rate).
- No funding is provided for a partner.
- Fieldwork – you may apply to keep up to your normal maintenance allowance while on fieldwork as part of your Ph.D. (the Trust does not fund other fieldwork costs as these should be funded by the University Composition Fee).
- Maternity/Paternity funding – should you require it, you may apply to intermit your studies for up to 6 months and continue to receive your maintenance allowance during this time
- Hardship funding – for unforeseen difficulties
Eligibility Criteria for Gates Cambridge Scholarship
To qualify for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship, the candidate must fulfill all of the following requirements below:
- Required Language: English
- Eligible Countries: All world countries.
- Academic excellence.
- You should be able to make a strong case for a particular postgraduate degree at Cambridge.
- A commitment to improving the lives of others.
- A capacity for leadership.
- Applicants must be from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree.
How Do I Apply?
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship is a fully-funded scholarship for international students to study at the University of Cambridge. The scholarship covers the cost of tuition, living expenses, and travel.
To apply, you must first be nominated by your university. Once you have been nominated, you will need to complete an online application which includes essays, letters of recommendation, and transcripts.
If you are successful in being awarded the scholarship, you will be notified in late March or early April.
Please follow the following application instructions to apply for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship:
- Apply for admission to a course and a College place and the Gates Cambridge part of the funding section.
- Build up an account on the website.
- Fill in your personal information
- Submit these documents:
- Gates Cambridge Statement: In no more than 3000 characters (approximately 500 words) please explain why you are applying for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship and how you meet the four main criteria.
- Research proposal (Ph.D. applicants only)
- Gates reference: In addition to two academic references for admission, Gates Cambridge applicants submit a reference about their fit with the scholarship.
- Answer the application questions.
- Submit the application
Why Should I Apply for this Scholarships?
The Gates Cambridge Scholarships are among the most prestigious and competitive international scholarships in the world. They are awarded to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
When Will the Selection Process Start and End?
The selection process for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship will start in September 2022 and end in March 2023. The scholarships are awarded to outstanding applicants from around the world who demonstrate a commitment to improving the lives of others. To be eligible, students must have a demonstrated interest in pursuing an education that is rooted in social justice and self-awareness, as well as academic excellence.
They also need to be planning on enrolling full-time at one of the Colleges within the University of Cambridge (Cambridge, Churchill, Clare Hall, Corpus Christi College, Darwin College, Fitzwilliam College, Gonville & Caius College, Homerton College).
How Can I Prepare for Interviews, if Required?
If you are invited to interview for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship, congratulations! This is a great opportunity to show the selection committee who you are and why you deserve the scholarship. Here are a few tips on how to prepare:
- Do your research. You’ll want to be confident in your knowledge of the Gates Cambridge Scholarship program when you sit down with an interviewer so spend some time getting familiar with it.
- Write down what interests or excites you about being part of the Gates Cambridge Scholarship community?
- What aspects of our culture do you want to bring back from the UK?
- Who would be your role models if chosen?
- Where will you study?
- Why did you apply for this particular Gates Cambridge Scholarship 2022 (Fully Funded)?
- How does this Gates Cambridge Scholarship align with your academic interests?
- How does it align with your future career goals?
Summary of Key Points And Advice
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship is a highly competitive and prestigious scholarship that provides full funding for graduate study at the University of Cambridge. Scholarships are awarded based on academic merit, leadership potential, and a commitment to improving the lives of others. If you are thinking about applying for this scholarship, here are some key points and advice to keep in mind. First, Gates Cambridge Scholarships are only available to students from countries outside the UK. You can find out if you qualify by taking our eligibility quiz. Second, you need to be accepted by the College of the University of Cambridge before your application will be considered for review.
Final Thought About the Gate Cambridge Scholarships
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship is an amazing opportunity for any student looking to study at one of the world’s most prestigious universities. The scholarship covers all expenses for the duration of your stay, so if you’re lucky enough to be selected, you can focus on your studies and not have to worry about the financial burden. Not only will you receive a fantastic education from a top university, but you'll also make friends with some of the brightest minds in academia. All this without having to spend a penny out-of-pocket.