Permitted Paid Engagement Visa: How to Obtain a UK Visa for Engagements

A UK Permitted Paid Engagement Visa is available for those who wish to work in the United Kingdom (UK) as an actor, musician, or artist. To be eligible for this visa, you must have an engagement offer from a company in the United Kingdom. To apply for this visa, you will need to find an employer in the UK and prove that you are qualified by showing evidence of your qualifications. The job offer should be noted on your Permitted Paid Engagement Visa application form.

Permitted Paid Engagement Visa: How to Obtain a UK Visa for Engagements

If you’re an actor, musician, or entertainer in the UK, you may be able to obtain a UK visa known as the Permitted Paid Engagement Visa. This visa allows you to perform in paid events in the UK. You will still need to obtain an ESTA or visa from your home country if you wish to visit the UK, but this visa will allow you to make money legally and perform at paid engagements once you are in the country.

For foreign experts under the visa regime who wish to serve in the UK by their expertise, the permitted paid engagement in the UK is a short-stay visa. This is true if you will be working for or on behalf of a private client, business, group, or institution or if you are applying for a PBS position that does not require a previous sponsoring employer.

What is the permitted paid engagement visa?

The permitted paid engagement visa is available to individuals who are citizens of Australia, Canada, New Zealand, or the United States. It is designed as an easy and inexpensive way to enter the UK and perform their duties as ambassadors or temporary employees of specific organizations while maintaining work authorization in their home country. How to apply for the UK Permitted Paid Engagement Visa: You must apply online through the Home Office website. You must be eligible for one of these countries, have a passport from one of these countries, and have evidence that you can support yourself financially during your stay in the UK.

The application fee is £55 (approx USD 73)

What are the requirements for obtaining a visa for paid work in the UK?

If you are 18 years or older and intend to work for up to one month, you may be eligible for this visa. You cannot be denied a visa to the UK because of your past. When your visa's validity period expires, you must plan on leaving the UK. Despite this, you'll need enough cash to cover your living expenses, transportation, and housing costs without depending on any public funds or services provided by the UK.

What Can I Do With a UK Permitted Paid Engagement Visa?

There are a pretty few job positions for which you could be given this visa, as follows:

Highly-qualified academic students examiner

You must be an expert academic in a particular discipline through which you must examine the students’ knowledge in their subject area. You have to do this as a part of a selection panel or a quality assurance team. The institution on behalf of which you’ll be carrying this examination must be an academic or research institution in the UK.

Guest lecturer

The institution where you’ll be offering your expert lecturing has to be recognized as an academic institution in the UK.


Designated pilot examiner of the UK pilots

You have to examine aspiring pilots regarding the UK piloting standards. It would help if you did this on behalf of an approved UK training organization by the UK Civil Aviation Authority.

Expert lawyer

You’ll have to legally represent a private client in court, tribunal hearing, arbitration, or other dispute resolution forms.

Job in the creative industry

A job where you have to offer your expertise as a professional artist, entertainer, musician, fashion model, or sportsperson. Your performances must be carried on behalf of a creative sports organization or a medium in the UK.

How can I apply for this visa?

The first step in applying for the Permitted Paid Engagement Visa is to provide your biometrics, which can be done by filling out an online form. Your biometrics are used to confirm your identity and work authorization in Canada. After that, you must apply online or at a visa application center (VAC) outside Canada. You will need to submit a complete application package with the following:

  1. Completed Online Application Form
  2. Passport-sized photo taken within six months
  3. Two blank passport pages
  4. A processing fee of CAD 150

What documents do I need to apply?

As with any visa application, you'll need to provide evidence of funds and qualifications. When applying for the UK Permitted Paid Engagement Visa, you must prove that you are engaged in paid professional engagements within the United Kingdom to get your Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa. While full details can be found on the government website, essentially, this means providing details of when and where the engagements will take place and how much you'll be paid. You'll also need to supply contracts or other documentation from the organization (s) paying you, confirming these commitments. You will not be eligible for the UK Permitted Paid Engagement Visa if it is an unpaid role or if it doesn't have specific starting and ending dates.

What if my current visa expires during the application process?

In some cases, your current visa may expire during the application process. In this case, you should let the UKBA know about your circumstances as soon as possible. If it does not grant you an extension of leave to apply for this Permit, the Department of Homeland Security will make decisions about your status in the United States based on what is permitted under U.S. law.

For example, if your U.S. visitor’s permit expires after 180 days but before 365 days from the date of admission and you did not apply for or receive approval for an extension of stay or change of status from USCIS (the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services), DHS/USCIS could administratively remove you from the United States or reinstate previous removal orders against you upon departure. You would be barred from returning to the US for three years from the removal date.

Are there any restrictions on activities or employment?

To qualify for this visa, you must prove that you are an artist, athlete, or entertainer and that you will temporarily work in the United Kingdom. You must also show how you will support yourself financially during your stay in the UK.

Please visit the Home Office Website here if you would like more information on how to apply for this visa. You can also contact them by phone at 0300 123 6161 from within the UK and from outside of the UK.

Can I leave the UK while my application is being processed?

If you apply as an individual, you can use it while residing in the UK. You will need proof of your registration address, evidence of your means of support, and a certified translation into English if the document is not in English. If you are applying on behalf of a group, it is best if the group does not have any residential ties with the United States or Canada. There should be no other members from these countries either. The applicant must submit at least four months' worth of bank statements proving they can financially support themselves. They also need to show how much money they have available for their stay. The applicant must then provide two United Kingdom sponsors who reside there too.

What happens if my application is unsuccessful?

While applications can be unsuccessful if specific criteria are not met, most applications are successful. The visa will allow the applicant and their dependents to enter the UK for up to 6 months per visit. To maintain the visa status, an applicant must spend at least two days in the UK each time they enter with this type of visa. You must submit a non-refundable fee online or post to apply for this visa. You will also need to provide evidence that you are either employed or self-employed and your earnings average £18600 (or €21000) per year if you have any questions about whether you qualify for this visa.

How long can a UK Permitted Paid Engagement Visa process take?

It takes up to 3 weeks for a UK Permitted Paid Engagement Visa to process. For a faster visa decision, you must pay £212 or £956 to get a visa response in 5 or 1 working day.
Can I extend or switch a UK visa for permitted paid work?


You cannot stay in the UK for more than one month with a Permitted Paid Engagement visa. Likewise, you are not eligible to switch to a different UK visa type.

With this visa, your relatives cannot accompany you or join you after you arrive in the UK.
Can I Switch Jobs While on the Permitted Paid Engagement Visa?

You are allowed to work only in a job at the company/individual client for which you have received the UK PPE visa. Such restriction doesn’t apply to attending a business meeting relating to your job in your home country. This activity must not interfere with your commitments towards the work for which you were issued the visa.
Can I get married or in a civil partnership with a UK PPE Visa?

No. You cannot get married in a civil partnership or announce a marriage or a civil partnership while staying in the UK with this visa. If you intend to do so, you must apply for a UK spouse visa.

Can I appeal if my application is refused?

In general, you cannot appeal the decision on your application if you are not satisfied with the outcome. This is because there is no provision within the visa system that allows applications to be re-considered. You will have the opportunity of making an application at the earliest 90 days before your date of travel or 30 days after refusal (as long as you are within the period). Your visit must be genuinely connected to work and should not exceed two years in duration. The applicant can also visit other countries during their stay in the UK, but this should not exceed six months.

Who should I contact if I have questions about my application?

You can contact the following people if you have questions about your application. (insert contact info) How to apply for the UK Permitted Paid Engagement Visa: Visit the embassy or consulate of your country in London. If this is not possible, contact them via email and make an appointment at one of their regional offices in London. In some cases, they may not offer services in languages other than English, so applicants must take steps ahead to learn English before going there to understand better their surroundings and any messages sent by their officials. It is also advised that you bring all necessary documents, as these are required to process your application. It takes approximately two weeks for visa processing.

Official Related Links You Need

You have the best Guide on Immigration, Education, and Employment details for you to Get more out of what you need to know, and it is all free of charge: 

Get More Guide -

Immigration -

Education -

Employment -

US Immigration -

Final Thought

For those looking to start their new life in the United Kingdom and work as a performer, you will need some extra help. The process is simply obtaining the proper visa through the Permitted Paid Engagement visa. All you need is your employment contract, proof of sufficient funds, and even written permission from your family (if applicable). You can then apply online or with your local visa office. As long as everything is done correctly, this can be an easy process that should not take too much time or money. If you are one of these people who would like to live and work in the UK, I hope this blog post has helped you understand what steps are necessary for your dream job.

What's Your Reaction?