We all know the standard Playstation 4 internal storage doesn’t meet our needs. That is why we prepared a list of the top 6 best external hard drive for PS4.
External hard drives provide your PS4 with more room to store more games. Luckily, both consoles are simply plugged and play with any USB 3.0 external hard drive furnished with over 256 GB of storage.
All the external hard drives on this list are fully compatible with PS4.
PS4 External Hard Drive Buying Guide
Choosing a drive has never been easier and it is more important today than ever before. There are many reasons to consider an upgrade for your PS4. Especially if your drive is less than 1TB.
Most consoles are equipped with an internal hard drive that is between 500GB and 1TB in size. This is a good manageable size for storing a few games. so it’s very important to consider the size of the external hard drive before buying it.
Speed and Drive Type
Also before buying an external hard drive, you need to consider speed. SSD is quite very fast and reliable. That being said, USB 3.0 can be used for an SSD or SSHD as long as the drive has a compatible adaptor.
Modern external drives can easily be plugged into your PS4 and used (plug and play). No much stress is required.
See Also: 10 Best Neckband Headphones In 2020
6 Best External Hard Drives for PS4 2020
- WD 4TB My Passport: Best External Hard Drive for PS4
- Seagate 2TB Game Drive: Best Budget External Hard Drive for PS4
- HGST Touro S 1TB 7200RPM: Fastest External HDD Hard Drive for PS4
- Seagate Expansion 6TB HDD: Best Desktop Drive for PS4
- WD 8TB Elements Desktop Hard Drive: Largest Desktop Drive for PS4
- Samsung 860 EVO 1TB: Best SSD for PS4 (Needs adapter)
The Best External Hard Drives for PS4
WD 4TB My Passport
Balancing performance with price, there is a reason why WD’s Hard Drive remains the best of Amazon’s best selling external drives.
I recommend this external drive to anyone looking to expand the storage of their console. You will have enough storage which can accommodate up to 80 games at a time.
- Sturdy and dependable
- Reasonably small and portable for a 4TB device
- No need for external power
- Western Digital is a trustworthy company
- Fantastic color options
- No SATA port
Seagate 2TB Game Drive
From a design angle to software optimizations, this Seagate drive is for console users.
This drive comes in a mixture of Microsoft franchise designs, is incredibly portable and requires nothing but a USB connection to plug and play with your console.
- 2TB HDD (And 4TB model available)
- USB 3.0
- Small and easy to move around
- Easiest options to setup
- A great 2TB budget HDD
- Prone to failure if shuffled too roughly or dropped
HGST Touro S 1TB 7200RPM
The HGST Touro S 1TB 7200RPM is an iconic portable disk drive with the Touro S. It runs at the fastest speeds available without bumping into SSHD or SSD zone.
Given that both SSHD and SSD do not operate at true speeds using USB 3.0, this is probably the best option between speed and performance on the market.
- Fastest external speed for traditional disk drive
- Syncs great with Apple products
- Excellent plug and play support for both PS4 and Xbox One
- Free cloud storage and other software features don’t work on consoles
- 1TB might not be enough
Seagate Expansion 6TB HDD
The Seagate Expansion 6TB HDD is slick, slim and you can get versions from 2TB and above.
Although this 6TB model remains the best value for money. There is no need for any installation, just plug and play, and you are good to go.
- Great for those using multiple systems (Such as switching between a PC, Xbox, and PS4)
- Not the fastest option
WD 8TB Elements Desktop Hard Drive
You’ll agree that this is an insane amount t of storage space. It is so much that we really can’t understand why you would run out of storage space. For gamers, It’s a bit overkill for most users.
- Never run of space, ever
- Designed to last
- Can be set up in a RAID pattern and still have a ton of room left
- This may be a bit much storage for the current console generation
- Vertical drives make us nervous
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Samsung EVO 860 is now cheap and easy to use. When it comes to SSDs, the EVO series has long been the best standard, and the 860 EVO replaces the 850 series, thanks to better performance and more modern design and parts.
- As fast as your PS4 can handle
- Can use with an adaptor to make a super-fast External drive
- Cuts down on noise dramatically (No more whirring up a disk for information)
- Current PS4 design doesn’t utilize solid-state drives effectively
- Only internal drives can really take advantage of solid-state technology
Buying a new hard drive for your PS4 is pretty awesome. No more balancing files or waiting for DLC before you reinstall a large game.
We know it is not always easy lookup an item and purchasing it. Thanks for taking the time to read through our expert guide and we hope we answered all the questions as regards external hard drives for PS4.
If you have learned something, do leave us a comment below.