Luxembourg Third Countries Visa Requirements

Third-country nationals legally resident in another Member State of the European Union (EU) or in a country treated as such (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland) and wishing to work in Luxembourg without residing there must, in principle, obtain a work permit before commencing work in Luxembourg.

Luxembourg Third Countries Visa Requirements

Foreign nations from certain non-EU countries who wish to visit, transit through, or work in Luxembourg must, before their departure, have a valid travel document with a visa issued by a consular authority from one of the countries in the Schengen area.

The visa enables free movement in the Schengen area: Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Spain, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, and Switzerland.

The nationality of the non-EU national determines whether or not he is obliged to have a visa. Different types of visas exist depending on the duration and nature of the visit. However, let's look at the meaning of a visa:

What is a visa?

A visa is an endorsement placed within a passport that grants the holder official permission to enter, leave or stay in another country for a specified period.

What is a Luxembourg visa?

A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter Luxembourg generally must first obtain a Luxembourg visa, which is placed in the traveler’s passport, a travel document issued by the traveler’s country of citizenship. Therefore, a Luxembourg visa is a document that permits foreigners to enter the country of Luxembourg for visits, tourism, study, etc for a period of time.

What is Luxembourg's third countries visa?

Luxembourg third countries visa is a document that permits non-European citizens who wish to visit, live, study, transit through or work in Luxembourg for a certain period of time.

Third Countries Luxembourg Visa concerned:

Foreigners from certain countries must have a visa to enter or work in the country of Luxembourg.

A visa must be requested at the consulate of the country the applicant intends to visit, or, if he plans to visit more than one Schengen State, at the consulate of the country of his primary destination (i.e. main purpose of stay or most prolonged stay). If the applicant intends to visit several Schengen states for a stay of equal duration, the visa application must be sent to the consulate of the country whose external borders the applicant will cross first when entering the Schengen area.

As a general rule, the visa application must be submitted in the country in which the applicant legally resides, at a Luxembourg consulate or a diplomatic mission representing Luxembourg. Should there be no Luxembourg consulate in that country and should Luxembourg not be represented there, the application must be submitted at the consulate with territorial competence for visa applications.

The visa application and attached documents must be translated by a sworn translator if they are not drawn up in German, French, or English.


Depending on the reason for the visit, they will need:

Luxembourg Visa Requirements

To apply for a Luxembourg visa, you must submit the documents listed below at the nearest embassy/consulate of Luxembourg in your home country:

A valid passport.

 The passport must be valid (at least three months after the return date), in good condition, and with at least two blank pages. Include a copy of previous visas, if any.

Two photos, according to the Schengen photo guidelines

Your photos must be passport-sized, taken on a blank background, and with colors.
Schengen visa application form. Complete the application form online, print a hard copy, and sign it at the end. Make sure you fulfill the application with sincere responses. False information can lead to visa refusal.

Schengen visa travel insurance.

Document proof that you have valid health insurance. The insurance must have coverage of €30,000 in case you face any health problems while in Luxembourg.

Visa fee receipt.

Finish the visa fee payment at the embassy/consulate of Luxembourg when submitting the documents. Make sure you attach the receipt of the payment to the other requested documents.

Cover letter.

The cover letter is like a letter introduction that you write to the embassy. The embassy will know more about you, the purpose of your visit, how long you plan to stay, which places you plan to visit, etc., based on this cover letter.

Accommodation proof in Luxembourg.

The accommodation proof is a document proving that you have a place to stay in Luxembourg. This document can be a rental agreement, a hotel reservation, an invitation letter from a friend or a family member, etc.

Invitation letter

The invitation letter is a letter issued from a friend or a family member proving that you have a place to stay in Luxemburg.

Bank statements.

Submit the bank statements from the last six months, proving that you are financially stable and that you can finance yourself while you are in Luxembourg.

Flight itinerary.

Document proof that you have purchased a return flight ticket in your home country after the visa expires.
Let's look at Luxembourg's third-country visa types.

There are different types of Luxembourg third countries visas.

  • Airport Transit "A" Visa
  • Short-Stay "C" Visa
  • Long-Stay "D" Visa

Airport Transit "A" Visa

An airport transit visa allows you to transit in a Luxembourg airport while you are on your way to another country. However, this type of visa does not allow you to exit the airport area. The airport transit visa is issued for 24 hours.

If you are from one of the countries listed below, you need an airport transit visa to pass through the transit area of the airport of Luxembourg:

  • Afghanistan
  • Bangladesh
  • The Democratic Republic Of The Congo
  • Eritrea
  • Ethiopia
  • Ghana
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Nigeria
  • Pakistan
  • Somalia
  • Sri Lanka

Short-Stay "C" Visa

A short-stay visa allows you to stay in Luxembourg for 90 days in any 180 days. In addition, you can visit other Schengen countries within the validity of the visa. The Luxembourg short-stay visa is issued for:

  • Tourist or family visits;
  • Business trips (visiting professional partners, negotiating and concluding contracts, etc.);
  • Participating in conferences (conference speakers and university lecturers), exhibitions, fairs, or shows;
    participating in the board of directors' meetings and general meetings;
  • Providing services within the same business group, etc.

Long-Stay "D" Visa:

A long-stay D visa allows you to stay in Luxembourg for one year. It also allows you to visit other Schengen countries too. You can get a Luxembourg long-stay visa for the following purposes:

  • Work.
  • Study.
  • Investment.
  • Family reunion.

With a long-stay D visa, you can apply for a temporary residence permit in Luxembourg. A temporary residence permit allows you to stay for five years in Luxembourg and can be renewed.

How to proceed:

Luxembourg Type "C" Visa

Third-country nationals subject to a visa obligation who wish to stay in Luxembourg for less than 90 days over 180 days for business, family, or tourist visits, etc. must apply for a short stay visa (type "C" visa).

Visa applications should in principle, be lodged at least 15 calendar days before the intended visit and cannot be lodged earlier than 6 months before the start of the intended visit.

Holders of a multiple-entry visa may apply before the expiry of the visa valid for at least 6 months.

The applicant must submit a completed and signed Schengen visa application in person at:

the Luxembourg diplomatic mission or consulate in their country of residence;
or, failing that, the embassy or consulate of the country in the Schengen area which represents Luxembourg for the issuance of visas.

The application must be accompanied with the following documents:

  1. Two recent and identical identity photos; a valid passport or a travel document accepted in the Schengen area, which is valid for at least another 3 months after the expiry date of the requested visa;
  2. Supporting documents associated with the purpose of the journey, such as:
  3. Legalized financial statement of support from the reference person in Luxembourg;
  4. It should be noted that the financial statement of support is not mandatory. But it is strongly recommended to submit this document in order to prove that the applicant is financially supported by a Luxembourg resident.
  5. Official letter of invitation for a business visit;
    a hotel reservation;
  6. A return airline ticket;
  7. proof of sufficient means of subsistence (bank account statements, cash, credit cards, etc.);
    In certain cases, this proof can be replaced by a financial statement of support from a reference person in Luxembourg;
  8. Proof of legal residence in the usual country of residence;
  9. Health insurance covers the travel period.

Before sending the financial statement of support to the third country national for whom he is acting as guarantor, the guarantor must:

Have their signature officially authenticated on the form at their commune of residence;
send the form to the Passport, Visa and Legalisation Office (Bureau des passports, visas et légalisations) for a stay of fewer than 90 days or to the Immigration Directorate for a stay of more than 3 months, together with:
the last 3 salary slips or a document stating their monthly income;
a copy of the passport or national identity card;
if he or she is a foreign national, proof of lawful residence in Luxembourg;
a copy of the valid passport of the non-EU national being cared for.
If the application is accepted, the guarantor receives an official stamped document copy. The foreign national then have 6 months to use this document to apply for a visa.

When the visa is granted, it is affixed to the passport in the form of a visa sticker.

The visa type "C" allows the holder to stay for a duration not exceeding 90 days period. The visa can be issued for one or several entries, depending on the reasons for your stay.

The Schengen calculator may help keep track of the number of days authorized in the Schengen area, based on the travel dates. A user guide for the calculator is also available.

The results shown by this tool are not legally binding.

It does not give the holder the right to carry out a paid activity in Luxembourg. In this case, the person must apply for a visa type D.

Possession of a visa does not confer an irrevocable right of entry. The holder of a visa must show evidence, at external borders, that he fulfills the conditions of entry in accordance with the Schengen Borders Code (article 5).

Note that the Passport, Visa, and Legalisation Office is competent for visa applications regarding stays not exceeding 90 days over any 180 days. For applications concerning a stay of more than 3 months, the competent authority is the Department for Foreigners at the Immigration Directorate.

To Apply for Long Stay Visa (Visa type  "D")

Foreign applicants who are willing to Stay for more than 3 months.
Third-country nationals subject to a visa obligation who wish to stay in Luxembourg for more than 3 months must apply for a long stay visa (D).

Before submitting an application for a visa, the non-EU national must apply, from his country of origin, for a temporary authorization to stay at the Immigration Directorate of the Luxembourg Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs (ministère des Affaires étrangères et européennes).

The List of Luxembourg Third countries:

A list of third countries whose residents are allowed to enter the territory of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, including non-essential travel States are:

  • Saudi Arabia
  • Bahrain
  • Chile
  • China (subject to confirmation of reciprocity at EU level)
  • Colombia
  • South Korea
  • United Arab Emirates
  • Indonesia
  • Kuwait
  • Peru
  • Rwanda
  • New Zealand
  • Qatar
  • Ukraine
  • Uruguay.

No visa fee will be charged for Under listed Conditions:

  • Children under 6 years of age;
  • Pupils, students, and teachers accompanying them on school trips or educational study trips;
  • Third-country researchers going abroad to carry out scientific research;
  • Representatives of non-profit making organizations aged 25 years at most who participate in seminars, conferences, sports, cultural or educational events;
  • Family members of an EU/EEA national;
  • Certain categories of nationals of Russia, Moldova, Ukraine, Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Albania, Georgia, the Republic of North Macedonia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Cape Verde.

Extension of the visa C

When applying for a visa extension, the applicant must show that for reasons of force majeure or for humanitarian reasons they cannot leave Luxembourg before the expiry of their visa or the authorized period of stay.

As a rule, the visa can only be extended if the applicant has stayed less than 90 days in the Schengen area, in the course of the past 180 days, and if his current visa is not expired.

The application has to be sent to the Passport, Visa, and Legalisation Office.

Refusal to issue the visa C

This decision is notified to the applicant by the consulate.

Applicants may lodge an appeal against this decision with the administrative tribunal. The appeal must be filed by a court lawyer within 3 months from the notification of the decision.

The information on possibilities of recourse can be found on the refusal form.

Official Related Links You Need

You have the best Guide on Immigration, Education, and Employment details for you to Get more out of what you need to know, and it is all free of charge: 

Get More Guide -

Immigration -

Education -

Employment -

US Immigration -


“Luxembourg Third Countries Visa Requirements” is an article that explains the requirements for third countries applicants with intention to visit, work, study, etc  in the country; the meaning of visa, the different types of visa, the list of Luxembourg third countries, etc.

Therefore, when you go through this article, you will definetly find a solution to your problem

What's Your Reaction?