Understanding the Canadian Experience Class

With the help of the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) program, highly qualified foreigners can settle in Canada without having to go through the laborious process of applying for permanent residency. By reading this page, you can learn everything you need to know about the CEC, from how it operates to ascertain your eligibility to how to start the application process.

Understanding the Canadian Experience Class

One of Canada's three immigration categories, the Canadian Experience Class (CEC), aims to draw qualified employees who can support the country's economic development and demographic expansion. The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) program enables talented foreign workers with at least a year of work experience in Canada to apply for permanent residence in Canada.

The Canadian government launched the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) initiative in 2010 to make it easier for highly skilled immigrants to obtain employment there. In a two-step process, qualified foreign workers can enter Canada under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) immigration category and get permanent residency. Then, after at least a year of work experience in Canada, they can apply for permanent residence directly.

You may be qualified to apply under this category if you have previous experience working in Canada, either as a student or as an employee. However, you must meet specific requirements to be eligible for permanent residency under CEC regulations, just like you do under the rules of the other two immigration programs, the Federal Skilled Worker Program and the Federal Skilled Trades Program.

To be eligible, you must have one year of full-time work experience or the equivalent part-time experience within the last three years in one of the following occupations: – Managerial Occupations – Professional Occupations – Technical Occupations – Skilled Trades Occupations If you have this type of work experience, you may be eligible to apply for permanent residence through the CEC program. This guide will tell you everything you need to know about CEC programs, including what they are, how to apply, and how much you can expect to pay.

Here's everything you need to know about the Canadian Experience Class to learn whether it's right for you.

What is the Canadian Experience Class (CEC)?

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is one of three Canadian professional worker immigration programs managed by the Federal Express Entry system. It is an immigration program to help temporary foreign workers and international students apply their Canadian work experience and education towards their Canada PR application. In addition, the Canadian Experience Class supports the transition from a temporary to permanent status taking into account the time that the international student or skilled worker spent in Canada while contributing to Canadian society. With CEC, individuals with at least one year of full-time work experience in Canada can apply to be permanent residents based on their experience and training.

The Canadian Experience Class Program was created for foreign nationals who are temporary employees in Canada and wish to become permanent residents. As a result, you can apply for the Canada Experience Class and attempt to become a permanent resident if you have worked in Canada for one year in the past three years, either as a whole- or part-time employee. Successful applicants will benefit from some of the shortest processing times in Canadian immigration because the Express Entry system controls the CEC. However, you must first fulfill all criteria for the Canadian Experience Class to be considered for the pool of Express Entry applicants.

What are the requirements for the Canadian Experience Class?

You must also fulfill several prerequisites to qualify for the Canadian Experience Class Program. By answering a short survey or test on the Canadian Immigration Website, you can find out if you do. You can take the exam with numerous questions about your past by selecting the "Check your Eligibility" option. If you pass this test and meet the conditions, you will receive an application number that you can use later.


The survey will test you on:

  • Work Experience and Occupation Level
  • Language Ability and Education
  • Admissibility

Moreover, there's no education requirement for the Canadian Experience Class Program; however, your educational background can help to boost your Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points which are used to rank your profile among the pool of Express Entry candidates.

Work experience

You must have one year of professional Canadian work experience. The work experience must be:

  • for a full-time position; or
  • the equivalent time in a part-time position;
  • legally obtained in Canada;
  • from jobs defined by the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC) as level 0, A, or B.


As we mentioned above, there's no education requirement for the CEC. But you can increase your Express Entry score by:

  • earning a certificate, diploma, or degree from a Canadian secondary or tertiary school;
  • completing a foreign credential;
  • getting an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) showing your previous
  • education meets Canadian standards.

Language skill

To meet this requirement, you must:

  • Take an approved language test for writing, reading, listening, and speaking;
  • Meet the minimum language requirement of Canadian Language Benchmark 7 for NOC 0 or A jobs or Canadian Language Benchmark 5 for NOC B jobs.


  • You must legally be allowed to enter Canada

How to Apply for the Canadian Experience Class

Here's an overview of the CEC application process.

1. Obtain a Canadian work permit

Under this program, having the right to work in Canada is a crucial requirement. Therefore, the initial and most vital step in applying for the CEC program is obtaining a work permit for Canada. In addition, to be qualified for the Canadian Experience Class, you must have at least a year of work experience (or longer if it was part-time). Unfortunately, your independent job and work experience from when you were a full-time student is not considered. However, your temporary work visa-related expertise, such as your time on a working holiday visa, does count toward this criterion.

2. Meet the eligibility criteria

Make sure you meet all of the requirements mentioned above. Get your language test done. You must complete an approved language test like IELTS for English and TEF for French to discover your Canadian Language Benchmark level. Candidates with some ability in both English and French can be awarded additional points for ability in their second language.

3. Create your express entry profile

The Federal Express Entry (EE) program manages the pool of candidates for the Canadian Experience Class. Therefore you must create an online Express Entry profile to qualify for the program. This step is completed on the IRCC website. You will be asked to provide some personal information:

  • age
  • education
  • language proficiency
  • income
  • Canadian work experience
  • spouse (if applicable)

The Comprehensive Ranking System will assign a score to your Express Entry profile out of 1,200 points (CRS). These criteria consider your age, employment history, linguistic skills, education, and other things. Based on CRS scores, your profile is then rated compared to other profiles in the Express Entry pool.

Through routine lotteries held by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada, applicants with the highest-ranking Express Entry profiles are invited to apply for Canadian permanent residence (IRCC).

4. Receive an invitation to apply

It's time to wait after finishing your Express Entry profile! For many people, getting an ITA might be a relieving step. Some people who submit a profile to Express Entry are given an invitation to apply (ITA), which enables them to submit a permanent residency application. If you accept the invitation, processing your application won't take more than six months. You must collect all necessary paperwork once you get your Invitation to Apply (ITA) for Canadian PR (permanent residence). A criminal background check and a medical certification are required. After getting your ITA, you have 60 days to file your application for Canadian permanent residence.


5. Get confirmation of permanent residence

After reviewing your electronic application, a Canadian immigration official will inform you of additional requirements. Application processing for CECs typically takes four months. You will be notified of the permanent residency paperwork after approval. This will serve as proof of your legal residence once you enter Canada. You can then apply for your PR card after receiving your status confirmation. You may use this card as evidence of your Canadian residency when leaving the country.

Furthermore, you can apply for your PR card after receiving your status confirmation. You may use this card as evidence of your Canadian residency when leaving the country.


Moreover, here are some of the frequently asked questions related to the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) program:

How Long Does It Take To Get A Decision?

It will take roughly four months for Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to process your application for permanent residence once you submit it through CEC. Then, if your application is accepted, it will take Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) 2–3 weeks to provide you with a letter confirming your status as a permanent resident. Finally, it may take another one to two months after you receive that letter for an overseas visa office to issue your visa.

What Happens If My Application Is Not Approved?

You will receive a mail notification if your application is denied. Instructions on how to appeal or submit a new application will be included in the letter. Although there is no set period in which you must reapply, we advise doing so at least six months before your present status expires. You have 60 days from the date you get the letter to file a challenge against Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada's (IRCC) conclusion.

Should I Contact An Immigration Consultant To Help Me Through This Process?

Yes! First and foremost, there is no shame in hiring a professional. The CEC can be an incredibly tricky program, and deciding whether or not you qualify can be extremely difficult. It's better to have someone who knows what they're doing than accidentally disqualify yourself because you didn't know all of your options. With that said, below are some steps for determining if you're eligible for the Canadian Experience Class.

Will I Be Able To Work In Canada While My Application Is Being Processed?

As long as your application is pending, you are qualified for open work permits if you are given permanent residence under a program like CEC. This implies that you can continue to qualify for resident status while applying for available jobs. You won't be permitted to work if your company requests a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) and it isn't accepted.

What's Next After IRCC has approved my application?

Once approved for immigration through a CEC program, you can apply for your PR Card and travel with your family. You must keep your address up-to-date in your government records and notify IRCC if you move or travel outside of Canada so that they can accurately process any mail they may send to you. You should also get familiar with the language, culture, and customs of Canada. With these new skills and experiences under your belt, it will be easier to find employment opportunities in Canada.

Official Related Links You Need

You have the best Guide on Immigration, Education, and Employment details for you to Get more out of what you need to know, and it is all free of charge: 

Get More Guide - https://bit.ly/ABROAD-IMMIGRATION-CENTER

Immigration - https://bit.ly/IMMIGRATION-CENTER

Education - https://bit.ly/EDUCATION-CENTER

Employment - https://bit.ly/EMPLOYMENT-CENTER

US Immigration - https://bit.ly/US-IMMIGRATION

Final Thoughts

There are more than a hundred options to obtain permanent residency in Canada. The secret is finding and applying for the Canadian immigration program that best fits your profile. If you have professional work experience acquired in Canada, the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) may be the ideal immigration option for you.

Slots in the CEC might fill up rapidly because it is only open for 12 months out of the year. Even if you are unsure of your desired moving date, apply as soon as you are qualified. Do not overlook it! You should contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada immediately if you have any queries about your eligibility or application. Visit the Canadian citizenship and immigration authorities at the website below for further information on becoming a permanent resident.

What's Your Reaction?